052608 | The Wiffmorial Day Extravaganza

Regular Season - Marquee
Game Date: 
May 26, 2008
Epicocity of Game: 
Stock


If I were to tell you over the winter that there was to be a blow-out game played in the dreary drizzle of late May, you would rightly conclude that this would be a mediocre, almost dismal, event. In 99% of sporting events, you would be absolutely correct. Luckily for all of us, we live in the other 1% where a blow-out during a rainy day somehow bucks the odds to become epic. When you celebrate the ridiculous, anything is possible.

Despite dreadful weather, Hunter S. Thompson Memorial Greens welcomed a near capacity crowd to help celebrate Memorial Day. After the tradition hour or so of milling about, Lonichiro kicked the festivities off with a rousing rendition of the National Anthem.

Teams were constructed as follows: Lincoln Loggers - Guap, J-Rod, J-Mac, Ox, Surgeon, and a late arriving Hideki O'Leary vs. the Bristol Lagers - Hot Rod, Unit, Lonichiro, The Albatross, Trot, and The Preacher.

The first half of the game saw stingy defense and downright nasty pitching. After 4, the Lagers clung to a 2-1 lead on the strength of a solo shot from Hot Rod. Then the clouds opened up, the rain fell, and the runs started pouring in. Ox and Guap each hoisted grannies in the fifth jumping out to a 9-6 advantage.

Like a massive head wound, the bleeding just would not cease for the Lagers. Ox put an exclamation point on his 3 ding, 2 grand slam, 9 ribbie day with a crushing shot through the trees and over two fences, giving the neighbors something to remember. Your player of the game.

There is no tastier beverage than a High Life poured from Lord Wiffle's Chalice. Guap samples as the Albatross looks on. We all dream of taking that drink at the conclusion of Wifftober.

The rain certainly affected the movement of ball and I would contend hurt the tosses of the tall two on the Lagers. Result-three straight mercy innings, Loggers up 23-10.

Sidebar: I am generally regarded as one of, if the most, serious wiffler. The funny thing is that, although I am fairly serious on the mound or in the batter's box, it stays there. I have had back to back games where I have been mercied. I have every right to be down, but I am not. And believe me, this is not typical as I am deeply competitive. However, I don't show up hoping to walk away with the title of the best wiffler, I show up to hang out with great friends and enjoy the spectacle of an organized wiffle extravaganza. Back to the game...

Joy and Kaela brave the weather to ensure the stats were kept. Sadly, later the sheet spontaneously caught fire, I rushed to extinguish the sacred stats, but my dog ate the remnants. Bummer.

J-Mac made his season debut on the mound and held the Loggers lead at 23-12 through two fast innings. His efforts were strengthened by a phenomenal running catch from the surgeon to end the eighth. It looked dire for the local heros with The Plastic Surgeon looming in the wings for the ninth.

Lonichiro and the Preacher show off Lord Wiffle's Chalice.

And it was. The surgeon stitched up the blow-out win with a stereotypical mental medley of precision. Game over, Loggers 23, Lagers 12.

A BIG THANK YOU TO KAELA FOR KEEPING STATS AND WITHSTANDING THE ELEMENTS (stats to be uploaded within 4 months) AND THE WIDOWS OF WIFFLE FOR KEEPING A COUPLE EYES ON THE KIDDIES AND LEAVING MY HOUSE LOOKING TIP TOP.



As Lonny said to me, "The only way this could be any better would be if we were winning."

Just your typical rainy day blow-out in the world of seriously ridiculous fun.

HR BECK - awaiting redemption.

ps I lost the bidding war for another bat, they kick you when you are down.

Quote of the Game
Quote: 
The only way this could be any better would be if we were winning.
Player quoted: 
Situation: 
Getting destroyed in a Wiffmorial mess